Sometimes I’m not sure if I actually talk a lot about myself on this blog, that sounds weird, right? I mean, it is my blog where I write about myself, but I have very few posts that dig into my personal life, mostly everything is about running, and sometimes food.
Anyway, I figured I would share some random facts about myself! So, besides running related stuff, here is a little more about me.
1. I always have bad dreams. I dream a lot, sometimes I go through phases where I don’t remember my dreams, but most nights I do have some kind of dream. Dreaming is said to be a sign of a deep sleep or a good night’s sleep, so this may sound like a good thing to some people. But, maybe 1 out of every 50 dreams I have is actually a good dream.
Most of my dreams are nightmares, ranging from my husband cheating on me, to really good friends getting cancer and dying, and I also frequently have a dream where I have to rescue my mom from drowning because she has a prosthetic hip in real life and cannot actually swim. Depressing as shit, right? These are normal things for me to dream about and I don’t know how to make them stop. It’s been like this for so long, I’ve just accepted it!
2. I choke a lot. I have a weird, and scary knack of choking on my food. I don’t know if I don’t chew my food enough, but choking (and dying) is one of my biggest fears. I once choked on a Werther’s Original, maybe when I was around 10 years old? I remember sitting on my stairs down to my cellar when it happened, and my oldest sister, Kerri was right there when I got to the top of the stairs. She gave me the Heimlich and I ended up puking all over my living room floor, but the candy did come up and she saved my life! If I was 10, she must’ve been 18, and I can’t remember making a big deal out of it back then, but thinking about it now is crazy and I am so grateful she did that for me.
I had another minor incident in college when I was eating lunch with Derek. I got part of my sandwich stuck in my throat, I ended up just forcing it out somehow and threw up a little on the table. I then proceeded to force myself to throw up and get the rest of it out of my throat in the bathroom. Scary shit. Nothing that bad has happened since and I’m super careful these days. But, yeah, that happened.
3. I am a certified scuba diver and I’ve been skydiving (alone). I’ll combine these two into one. I got my scuba diving license when I was 12. I did it with my dad and basically every summer from when I was 12 to 18, we went scuba diving in Maine. It’s some of the greatest memories that I have with my dad and I really hope we get the chance to go again sometime soon because I really miss it. Our usual spot was at the Nubble Lighthouse in York Beach, ME and we would always get ice cream after!
As my high school graduation gift, my parents paid for me to take a 6 hour skydiving class so that I could go skydiving alone, as opposed to tandem. It was incredible! I have a movie of myself somewhere, but it’s so embarrassing, I cringe anytime I watch it. This, oddly enough, was also in Maine.
4. I used to be incredibly shy. It seemed like the only trait I had while growing up and in school, was that I was quiet. It bothered me whenever anyone would call me quiet, I always just felt like I didn’t have anything to say, unless you were someone I was close to. I never felt the need to talk just to talk. I was also shy because I was always very insecure, I definitely wasn’t one of the popular ones in high school and I got made fun of a lot in middle school. I have this memory of sitting in computer class and this one girl who never liked me, came up and whispered in my ear that I had lice. I wanted to punch her in the mouth, but I just gave her a dirty look instead. I vowed to break out of my shell in college and I did and I haven’t looked back since.
5. I was always attracted to Spanish guys. In high school, I had a crush on all the Spanish foreign exchange students and I even dated one for a few months. Derek was my first real boyfriend and even though he doesn’t look it, he is half Puerto Rican! So, even though he doesn’t have the looks of a Puerto Rican, I still found myself attracted to him when we first met. I find it funny that I ended up with a name like Stephanie Jimenez.
Now you all know a little more about me! Tell me, is there something that not a lot of people know about you?