This is going to be a mishmash of things, I have so many little random things to talk about, so lets get to it.
1. I ran an AWESOME 22 miles last weekend! I ran almost the whole perimeter of Manhattan. I saw lots of things and places that I don’t see often, it was quite the adventurous run. I even got caught in several downpours and hid in a bathroom for 10 minutes while one of them passed. I was soaked from rain and sweat once I finally got home. I clocked in overall at a 9:58 pace, which I am happy with, especially since the weather was not ideal.
2. I wore some super short shorts. I bought these Oiselle Stride Shorts before HTC and I was a little self-conscious in them and I only wore them once. I wore them under my Team Sparkle skirt at HTC and since then I’ve forgotten about them. I am basically out of clean clothes and found myself considering them tonight for my run. I put them on and was surprised with how good they felt. I don’t have skinny legs by any means, and I’ve always been self-conscious of my thighs, but I figured I would give these another shot.
Husband: “Jeez, why don’t you put some pants on?”
Me: “Oh my god, do my shorts look bad?”
Husband: “You look like you’re naked”
My husband did not approve of my short shorts, which only increased my self-consciousness as I went outside to run. Well, what happens when you are uncomfortable in your clothes? You run fast! I was supposed to run a slow 5 miles, but I ended up running faster than my 5 mile Tempo run this morning. Oops. By the time I was done, I felt better, but maybe that’s because it was dark out, haha. Either way, I love the shorts now and I will continue to wear them!
Awkward picture, but they don’t look so bad, right?
3. I can’t stop eating bagels. Seriously. My freezer is stocked with them and I should probably stop eating them like I’m running a marathon every day. I should cut myself off. Maybe.
4. I have a bunch of races coming up! Tomorrow I am running the 4 mile race in Central Park. I have 10 miles on my schedule, don’t you just love cutback weeks? So I will be running 6 before the race. My friend Em is running this as her very first race. She is training for the Philly Half in November, which I will also be running! So here’s what’s coming up:
Sept. 15: Fitness Games 4 Mile Race
Sept 22: 5th Avenue Mile
This will be my first 1 mile race, I don’t think I’ve ever even done a 1 mile time trial, so I am excited to see what I’ve got. My ambitious goal is sub 7!
Sept: 23: 18 Mile Tune Up
This will be treated like another training run, where I will be adding 2 miles to make it 20 for the day. I am hoping to finish the 18 around 2:55 if the weather is cool.
Sept 30: Vermont 50
I am running the relay with Lauren and Emily. This came about during our last day in Seattle when Lauren and Emily were discussing the Vermont 50 and I think Lauren suggested running it as a relay, but they weren’t sure who would run in the 3rd spot. I overheard them and thought hm, maybe I could run? I offered up myself, even though I am nowhere near as fast as they are, but they didn’t seem to mind one bit! I am really looking forward to this weekend! It’s going to be filled with VT Cheese, lots of BEER and lots of awesome trail running! Also, what makes it even better is that the husband is coming too! Stoked.
Oct 7th: Staten Island Half
This is a rather hilly race, but I am planning on racing this! Who knows if I will break any kind of record I have, but I am planning on pushing myself to the fullest extent and giving this course all I’ve got.
5. The NYC Marathon is in 7 weeks! This is crazy. It’s so close and I am happy to say that I am feeling more and more ready as time goes on. But, with that, I am also feeling more and more nervous and I’m pretty sure I’m going to puke at the starting line. So there’s that. Jocelyn said she would be there to hold my hair back I am bib #45xxx in the 3rd Wave on the Orange side. Anyone else there?
I leave you with this picture I took on my run last night! The RFK bridge looking over onto Manhattan. I should run at night more often!
What races do you have coming up? Do you wear super short shorts too? Are you addicted to eating bagels, how do I stop?