This is where the Warrior Dash was held. On a freakin mountain! It was a pretty nice drive for the most part. My GPS sucked a couple times and I went the wrong direction because of it, but the good part was that we drove right by the Nabisco factory and it smelled strongly of delicious cookies! It was awesome and worth the wrong way detour. It was about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive to Windham, NY, we got there around 2:30, so we had a good 2 hours to spare before our wave.

This was the shoe pile when we arrived, it was even bigger when we left! I was going to donate my shoes, but I was an idiot and completely forgot to bring an extra pair, so I had to put back on my disgusting shoes after I was done changing.


This was the start and unfortunately this picture does not do it justice. This was a steep hill and right from the beginning it was rough! From the start until maybe a mile in, you are trekking up a mountain. It was no little hill, that’ s for sure. I ran, well I jogged at first until I realized what it was doing to my lungs. My lungs and my throat were burning! I have not felt that feeling in a long time.

But, I totally crushed my lung power and I was feeling it for not only the rest of the race, but the rest of the day. After you turn that corner in the picture, you are basically looking at a wall of mountain and EVERYBODY was walking at this point. There was definitely no running going on.


Kelly and I before the race. There were so many people there, it was insane. There was a wave every half hour starting at 9am until 5pm and there was about 500 people in each wave. Our wave wasn’t until 4:30, I can’t imagine what it was like during the busiest time frame.



We also met up with our friend Bridget who was there with some of her friends. She is actually the one who told me about the Warrior Dash, so thanks Bridget, I can’t wait to do it again next year!

While I was waiting in the corral, I was starting to feel kind of sick and it was getting really hot! I felt dehydrated, I had a headache and it was so much hotter than I expected. I made the last minute decision to take my shirt off and to just run in my sports bra because of how awful I was feeling. I needed to be not wearing ALL BLACK! I was all out of water and I felt like I really needed something to eat, but there was nothing at this point. I was starting to get a little nervous because I hadn’t even began and I was already feeling weak.

Before I knew it, we were off!

So as I was running up that freakin mountain, all I could think about was how I had to run an 18 mile race in less than 18 hours. I was hurting, I was complaining and I was miserable! I couldn’t believe how crazy and hard this was proving to be. The first obstacles were jumping through tires, climbing over walls and crawling through tubes. I felt dead! I don’t even know how I made it over the wall, but somehow I kept on trekking. I questioned whether or not I should drop out of the race the next day because I didn’t think I would have any energy left whatsoever after this thing was over with. Finally, I made it to the halfway point where there was a water stop! It’s all downhill from here, literally.

See this giant river swamp behind me? Yeah, this thing was literally 20 degrees! It was FREEZING! I felt like I was in the ocean in the winter. It was that intense.

This was the first intense obstacle and when I saw it, I thought of the promise I made to myself. I will not hesitate before any obstacle, don’t be a wuss, you are a warrior! Don’t be a girly girl scared of mud, you can do it, don’t think about it! I jumped right in and immediately my ass was frozen! You literally had to swim through this thing because at some points the water was up to your neck! It was pretty intense and insane. The freezing cold water made me get through that thing fast!

As I was running away from this, I could hear everyone in back of me complaining and yelling and I couldn’t help, but smile. This is the point where I actually started to have fun. I was laughing and smiling for a good 5 minutes, it was great! I loved hearing everyone’s reactions.

By the time I got to the rope, I felt a hell of lot better, physically and mentally. The downhill running was pretty extreme, it took a lot of control in order to run down it correctly. There were so many times where I felt like I was just going to keep running straight through the barrier down the mountain because I couldn’t stop. There were a lot of turns and the ground was very muddy and slick, it was definitely a very easy place to get hurt, if you weren’t careful and attentive.

The last three obstacles were the best! It started with a humungous slip ‘n’ slide, yep that’s right, a slip ‘n’ slide! Unfortunately it was really backed up and I had to wait in line for a good 5 minutes before I could go down, but there was no way I was missing out on this, I did not care about my time! I wish I had a picture of myself on this, but I wasn’t lucky enough to get one. Just to show you what it looked like though, here is one of someone else from the race.

They called this the Catskill Slide.

You basically crash into a hole at the end and it hurts! At least it did to me. I went down with crazy speed and I literally crashed into the bottom and was like ow, that’s gonna be sore later. You get out from there, run through tons of mud and then the next greatest part, the Fire Jumping!

The first thing I thought when I saw the fire was, wow, that’s some intense fire, I’m gonna have to make sure I jump pretty high! I hurdled those things like it was my job! This was Derek’s picture he got and then the next one is an awesome professional one, that I am definitely purchasing.

Haha, look at my face!

Running to the last obstacle, the crazy mud pit! You can see I look pretty clean in this picture, so of course the very last obstacle is where all the mud comes from! I was sad I didn’t get a picture in this either, but again, I will leave you with a sample picture of what I experienced.    

This is actually a picture of Bridget’s friend Chris. It’s one of the most epic pictures ever and I hope he buys this!




Also, I forgot to mention, while I was in the mud pit, there was a guy throwing shovels of mud into the pit and I got hit in the face with one! So, these pictures were actually taken after I poured a glass of water over my face!


A battle wound from the mud pit! The bottom was so rocky and rough that I couldn’t crawl on my knees any longer so halfway through I started dragging myself on my side! It was the only way I could get through it. I could feel all kinds of plastic around me, like it was supposed to be on the ground, but it was all starting to come up and I was therefore crawling over dirt and rocks.


We survived! Kelly and I with our awesome medals and I must say that yes, it was definitely of the the craziest frickin’ days of our lives!

Oh yeah! My official time: 45:51



  1. i love the before and after photos of our cleanliness to dirtiness. at least next year we’ll know to do some sort of sprinting up hills to put our lungs in shape! haha.

  2. OMG you guys are totally INSANE!!!!

  3. Thanks for the blog. I’m doing my first warrior dash in August and was surfing for info – real info, not propaganda. Can’t wait!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge