Okay so I will start from the beginning. I came home from work on Friday night and started packing all of the stuff that I would need for the next day. Turns out there was a hell of a stuff that was necessary. Two bags worth. My plan was to wake up around 5:30 and head out around 6:20. I went to bed at 11:30, well tried to anyway. I absolutely could NOT sleep. I figured I would eventually fall asleep after laying there awhile, but it just got worse. Derek came to bed around 12:45 and I was still awake. I think I kind of zone out around 1:30 and then woke up again at 2:30. I tried everything to go back to sleep. I got up and drank a little milk, I went to the bathroom and settled back into bed, but nope that didn’t work. I was going crazy and just couldn’t sleep. Nothing like that has ever happened to me. I eventually moved out into the living room to try and sleep in my chair, but that didn’t work either. I got up and went on the internet for a few minutes thinking that the bright screen would tire my eyes, but nope. I was seriously going crazy, my mind was retarded by 4 am. I layed on the couch and I think I finally got some actual sleep around 4:30 and then Derek came out in the living room and asked what happened to me at around 5:15. That was it, that was my night, I literally slept for like and hour and a half. It was insane and I have no idea how I survived the day.

We left around 6:30 and arrived at Surry Mountain Rec. Area around 8am. It was beautiful there. I can’t believe I didn’t know that place existed when I actually lived in Keene. It was only about 10-15 minutes outside of Keene. There weren’t a lot of people there yet when we arrived, so I did not have a hard time finding a spot for my bike. I registered, got my bib, which was #63 and my swim cap which was bright yellow. They also wrote on my arm and my leg my number.

I was apparently really stressed and worried and you could totally tell by my face. I couldn’t even believe what I was going to be doing in less than an hour. It was really nice to have almost my whole family there for support. I love them and really appreciate them for coming to support me.

I did some major stretching before, which I forgot to do after so I was extremely sore the next day. I headed over to the beach area, which was going to be the start of the race. They held a 5 minute meeting to go over all of the rules.

There were three waves of people, the men went first, then the women, then the relay groups and the kids. The water was pretty darn cold, in my opinion anyway. I was off and surrounded by so many people. I needed to swim with my head up at the start because I didn’t want to get kicked in the head. The swim was HARD, I totally underestimated it. I knew I needed to start off slow, but I got so tired fast. I think I panicked a little bit in the beginning and I knew I had to calm myself down if I was going get through it. I started off doing the crawl, then I did some side stroke and then it just turned into a mess. I was so exhausted half way through I couldn’t believe how tough the swimming was. I even did the backstroke, by the last quarter of it, I was just doing whatever I could to make it to the end. I kept talking to myself and pushing myself further and I knew the end was near. I was SO close to hanging onto a canoe for support so I could take a break. If I ever do another triathlon again, I will make sure I swim so much while training. I was definitely under trained for that leg of the race.

OFFICIAL SWIM TIME (1/4 mi.): 9:46

I felt wiped after leaving the water, I could not believe I had to go for an 8 mile bike ride now. I kind of took my time in the transition area in order to catch my breath some. I dried off, put my helmet and socks and shoes on and then was off. It started off on a pretty steep hill and my gears on my bike were not in low enough gear for the hill. I shifted way to fast and early and my chain got all messed up and fell off. Luckily the photographer and my dad rushed over to help me out. I was really upset and frustrated especially since my swim took me longer than I had anticipated. I kept looking back to make sure that I was not the last one leaving on the bikes. They fixed it and then it messed up again right away. I started to get concerned that I wasn’t going to be able to move on and complete the race. After another go, I was good and my dad gave me a good shove on the bike and I was off, FINALLY. I knew I needed to make up for lost time, so I tried real hard to push myself on the bike, but made sure not to over do it because I still had 3.1 miles to run after that was over. It was a good ride, I was mostly by myself and passed a good amount of people. The road wasn’t closed off or anything so there were some cars and motorcycles literally speeding by. I enjoyed the bike ride overall and there weren’t any major hills, which surprised me. I did a lot of training on some mean hills in order to prepare, guess it wasn’t needed. (Except that stupid one in the beginning). My family was so glad to see me ride in on my bike because of the fiasco in the beginning.

OFFICIAL BIKE TIME (8 mi.): 34:50

I racked my back super fast and took off for the run. This was what I had been waiting for, my strongest leg of the race. I knew I could make up for lost time here. I was pretty weak in the beginning, but I kept pushing myself and knew that after a few minutes I would start to feel better. I passed a ton of people running, which felt awesome! I heard many people saying how this was the hardest part for them. By the last mile, I felt great and knew I had some good speed going on. I crossed the finish line and my family was there waiting for me, it was such a relief and a great feeling of accomplishment!


I was soo happy just to finish the whole race. I never knew I would be capable of something like that. I only trained for 8 weeks and that flew by fast, if there is a next time I will make sure I tack on at least another 4 weeks of training time. I still can’t believe I did a triathlon! I thank Joe Heck who inspired me and simply told me not to wait to do one. I’m glad I did and I’m even happier it was a success.



The Give Peace a Tri Triathlon was held at the Surry Mountain Recreation Area in Surry, NH.

1 Comment

  1. Excellent job Steph! I'm very happy for you and what you accomplished, kick ass!

    And it's a good thing you just went home to rest, ain't now way you guys would have liked being rained on in Springfield again.

  2. Pingback: 2009 – A Year In Review « The Epicurious Runner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge