04. December 2011 · 1 comment · Categories: Race Recap · Tags: ,


I stayed up pretty late last night hanging out with friends and watching Wet Hot American Summer. I went to bed knowing I would at least be getting a solid 6 hours of sleep. I woke up in a panic this morning after seeing the clock read 7:24! I FLEW out of bed, went to the bathroom swearing up a storm. I brushed my teeth, threw on my clothes and jammed a piece of bread into the toaster.

Derek offered to help me, but I declined, there was nothing else that needed to really be done. I was out the door at 7:41 with a piece of peanut butter toast in my hand. I got to the subway and waited and waited until a train finally came around 8:00.


I got off at 59th and 5th and hailed a cab up to West 72nd, I had no time to waste! They were announcing that the corrals would be closing in 5 minutes as I was booking it to the baggage drop. I threw my stuff on the ground and ran back to the start and was huffing and puffing by the time I was able to stop and relax. Luckily my Garmin loaded it’s satellites rather quickly and it was all ready to go before I started.

I already felt tired when I started running and I was concerned about having enough energy left for the end, it wasn’t looking like a good race.

I was happy holding onto a 9-anything pace for now, I needed to warm up and relax all at the same time. I was so stressed getting to the race that my mind and body had no time to settle before I started.

By mile 2.5, I was starting to feel pretty good and get into my groove. I had also decided to make an effort to continue with negative splits. Mile 4 was the most difficult, 3/4 of it is a hill, but I was expecting it, so my mind felt mostly prepared to tackle it.

Here are my splits:

1: 9:41

2: 9:32

3: 9:25

4: 9:23

5: 8:42

Look at those beautiful negative splits!

IMG_0361.jpg IMG_0363.jpg

Like my last race, the 4 Miler, I finished super strong and had an awesome final mile!

Official Time: 47:07

I was supposed to meet up with my friend/co-worker James and his family to join in on the support for his brother in-law who recently passed away from brain cancer. This Join The Voices race supports all those who are fighting against brain cancer. I saw him at the end of the race and was still able to score my shirt!

I did poorly this week with running. Most of it because I felt poorly! I was sick for a good 5 days and I really didn’t feel like running while I was coughing and blowing my nose every 5 minutes. I feel a lot better now and even though I only ran 5 miles for the whole week, I am aiming for 8 miles next weekend!

I got some take home Shake Shack after the race for Derek and I. This is our last bad meal until Christmas! We are going to focus on eating more at home and less takeout!

IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0367.JPG

It was a great race, minus the stressful start! So glad to have finished strong (again) and I feel a little more ready now for the 15k in only 2 weeks!

Did you race this weekend? How did it go?

1 Comment

  1. Ok super jealous of your legs!! Looking strong!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge