Let me warn you now, this is going to be a long post!


Derek came with Adriana and I to pick up our race bibs on our lunch break Friday and then we had plans to eat some Shake Shack! The picture above is probably the best picture I’ve ever taken of a shake shack burger, doesn’t it look amazing? Mmm, it was so satisfying and for once I didn’t eat too much! I split a fry with Adriana and it was the perfect amount of food!


I like to stick to the classic pre-race dinner when it comes to longer races. I made some baked ziti and garlic bread and it turned out great! I made sure not to put tons of cheese on it because I knew it would mess up my stomach a bit if I ate too much dairy/cheese.


I laid all of my stuff out the night before and got everything ready for the morning. I always get super nervous about longer races and I hate to be unprepared come race morning. I also love the shirt they gave us for the race! It’s a bright orange tech tee and I can’t wait to wear it!

Derek and I woke up at 5am Saturday and I got around pretty quickly. I showered the night before and I already had everything ready to go. I ate an english muffin with peanut butter and banana and we were out the door at 5:45. We drove to Prospect Park where the race was starting, Derek dropped me off at around 6:15 and I headed to the bathroom.

I waited in line for a port-a-potty for a good 20 minutes, by the time it was my turn, Adriana and I had to rush to get our bags checked and ended up putting them in the Late Baggage Drop truck. The morning turned stressful rather quickly, I blame the long wait for the bathroom, but it was completely necessary. Once I was in the corrals, it was time to relax and prepare for the long road ahead.

I saw Derek just as I was starting and it made me so happy! He had found a parking space and rushed over to see me start the race.



I started the race strong and confident. I had a possible PR on my mind and I knew it would be at least 50% mental on whether or not it was possible. The race was 2 laps in Prospect Park, which equaled out to about 6.6 miles. There was one big hill in the park and I conquered it both times, I was feeling pretty good!

The first 6 miles FLEW by! I couldn’t even believe I was already halfway through the race!


I saw Eugenia just after mile 6 in the park! Check out the awesome picture she caught of me πŸ˜€ It’s my favorite one! I’m so glad I saw you, Eugy, you were a great spectator, thanks for the picture! Eugenia was supposed to run the race today, but her knee has been bothering her, so she decided not to run, which is probably for the better. I always say; Do you want to run right now? or For the rest of your life?

I was excited to finally leave the park, there were some awesome spectators at the exit and it felt good to get out onto the parkway, well, at least for the first mile.

Between mile 7 and 8 is when it happened. I had a good groove going and I was sticking to the left side of the road so that my Garmin would stay as close to the actual distance of the race as possible. I was running and then all of a sudden I was on the ground. I fell! I must’ve tripped on the curb or something, but I totally wiped out in the middle of the race. I don’t even know what happened, there was no ‘oh shit, I’m going to fall’ moment’, it was just running, then ground. I had my music blaring in my ears, but I did hear at least one person ask if I was all right and attempt to help me.

I was so embarrassed! I just got right up and kept on running. My breathing was so out of whack afterwards though, I felt like I was slightly hyperventilating. I was on the verge of crying, but trying super hard to get my breathing back under control. It took a good few minutes to actually recover from the spill. My knees were bleeding and I had mud all over my leg and my arms and hands.

So I ended up running the last half of the race looking like a idiot badass!

I was running pretty fast and strong up until mile 10. Most of my splits were under 9 minutes, but after Mile 10 I felt my PR slowly start to slip away. I was starting push hard and dig deep, both mentally and physically. My body hit a wall and I was trying so hard to keep my speed up. I also couldn’t stop thinking about how I absolutely could not wait for this to be over.

I felt like I was running a lot slower than I actually was. I was super happy to not have any splits over 10 minutes.


I was so happy to see the finish line in the distance! By the time it came, I was spent! I tried to look for Derek at this point, but I really could not put much effort into it, I was out of my mind and could not afford to spend any energy on anything except moving forward.

I was glad Derek caught the picture above, I didn’t even know he was there! Apparently I looked a little disheveled at the end, because someone rushed up to me and asked if I was all right. The woman made sure I grabbed some gatorade, I must’ve looked like I was going to pass out.


Here are my battle wounds. I found Derek and Adriana rather quickly and made sure to snap some photos.



I went to the Medical tent to get cleaned up afterwards. (The scrapes on my knees hurt like hell when I took a shower later in the day!)


This was my first time at Coney Island. It was the PERFECT day! I kind of forgot there was going to be a beach, haha. The beach was beautiful and there was an overall amazing vibe there yesterday from all of the runners.

Here are my stats:
  • Distance:

    13.1 Miles

  • Official Time: 2:00:45
  • Average Pace: 9:13
Mile 1: 8:53
Mile 2: 9:08
Mile 3: 8:53
Mile 4: 8:49
Mile 5: 9:12
Mile 6: 9:13
Mile 7: 8:37
Mile 8: 8:52
Mile 9: 8:59
Mile 10: 9:08
Mile 11: 9:27
Mile 12: 9:43
Mile 13: 9:47
Mile .1: :60

I am a little bummed that I didn’t PR like I had wanted to. But, honestly I definitely didn’t train enough to PR. I do know that I pushed myself as hard as I possibly could yesterday and that is all that matters to me. It truly was a fantastic race and experience. I’m not sure when I will be chasing down that PR again, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Stay tuned for an EPIC post about the food I ate after the race, it was one of the best days ever. I really do love New York City and I cannot thank Derek enough for being there to support me! He was a real trooper for waking up so early and for driving all day. I love him so much, he is an amazing and super supportive husband to be! Thanks Derek πŸ˜€

The Brooklyn Half rocked! I will definitely be running again next year. The course wasn’t spectacular, but it didn’t bother me, the crowds were great and I love that it ended in Coney Island. Yesterday is going down as one of the more memorable moments in my life.

Like I said, stay tuned for the food!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge